Tuesday 2 April 2013

Doing it properly, again. Honest. Maybe.


Well, this is a strange feeling.

I have, in the interests of keeping myself off the streets, peddling 'Mary Jane' and 'Jazz Cigarettes' to our impressionable youth, I have decided, once again, to re-re-start this blog. This will document my boring little life, the people in it, and any alcohol-induced thoughts that I might happen to stumble across when I buy whatever beer or wine that has a yellow price tag in Tesco's.

You see, gifted though I am with a lot of free time, my ability to fill this time with things other than listlessly looking at pictures of cats is lacking. I am constantly filled with the desire to push myself to great and noble deeds: to write the next great British novel, to lift a car over my head and to play the saxophone on the back of an aircraft carrier, whilst wearing a billowing linen suit-jacket.
However, though the mind is willing, the body is sluggish, pasty and slightly translucent from weeks of not seeing the sun. I will take a deep breath and rise from my chair with a pressing desire to change the world – this feeling tends to last between four and twenty seconds, at which point I will sit down again, slightly out of breath.

It is clearly not I that is to blame here, but society. When I am confronted with nothing to do there is no pressing need to survive, as my survival is more or less guaranteed unless I try to eat batteries out of the remote or try to ride my bike down the stairs; these things would be my fault, and as I am too lazy to try them, I remain alive through inactivity. However, the choice I have when deciding on things to do paralyses me: so high is this level of choice I am no longer selecting one activity but eliminating thirty others. This blog is a way of adding yet another choice to the already heaving mountain of trite time-sinks.

Good on me. I give myself a pat on the back.

Back in second, I just need to check something.
I have discovered that it is eight paces from the desk I'm sitting at to the front door; handy to know, in case a gunman runs up the sixty or so steps to my flat, runs past all the other doors to mine and kicks his way through to my living room. That should give me just enough time to lethargically rise from my seat before I am riddled with hails of psychosis-fuelled gunfire. As I lay bleeding on my charity shop rug I gaze through the lounge window, and the last thing I see is the permanently shocked/perplexed expression of a local pigeon.

Well, I've run out of things to say. I might update this again, but knowing me I'll just forget about it, because let's face it: I'm a bit of a twat. I'd like to talk about cooking, and D&D, and bikes, and the horrors of writing something longer than a blog post, and the heart-breaking levels of abuse you must receive as a result of such an endeavour, but we'll see.

I am now off to a place where I will try and do a karate chop on someone then fall over, giving myself a concussion.

Good day. I said good day sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment